Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Napping from 830 pm until 130 am

I've been getting especially tired during the day, Chico and Co. have been giving me 'shit' about being tired all the time and basically not wanting to get out of bed once I am in bed.

It sucks, I hate being made fun of and bugged, even if it is a joke, but especially when it is a passive-aggressive way of telling me I'm lazy and don't do much outside of working. Well, in true fashion of someone who is equally passive-aggressive, I must place the blame for this current sleepy time phenomenon anywhere but a place controlled by me! Well, let's see, I have been thinking that maybe it is the Mirena: I have been pretty beat up since I got this thing in, and while I do not think it is the cause of my sickness or sleepiness, I think that getting very, very sick about a week after having it placed was too much for my body. Flu+throw up+IUD+Christmas+New Year's+ New Job+ Rent Due= NOT ENOUGH TIME TO REST. This is especially the case because I was insistent on going out and still seeing Chico because I do not do bed rest well. So what? Well, finally, February 7th has been the first day that I do not feel sick!

MIRENA UPDATE: I love my IUD. I never thought I would think that or feel that, but I do love the Mirena. The only downside is that I do not feel I can tell the important ladies in my life about it because it has brought up a world view I once held, but have since abandoned: not getting your period every month is NOT natural.

Ah yes, I remember 2 or so years ago when I was so self-righteous as to proclaim anything unnatural as being bad for you. I wouldn't take Tylenol, aspirin, and basically any medication. I used condoms with my ex-boyfriend for our entire relationship because I refused to be on the pill, and there was even a time when I wouldn't paint my nails because of the chemicals in the polish and remover. Those days do not exist anymore, and I have become a believer in moderation, doing what is best for me, and not letting some ideology that does not necessarily benefit my life dictate what I do.

But I gotta say, NOT getting your period is something that freaked me out, and I am having my second period right now and hardly bleeding. I will probably not get my period soon; honestly I am more sad about not being able to say I am a proud user of the Diva Cup as I am about not being able to have a period. This is one of the major reasons I did not want to get an IUD in the first place, but I have found myself at times thinking, "Oh, I could totally have a baby right now, Chico and I could totally do it, it would be fun to be a mom, I love spending my days off at the park anyways!". And realistically, having a child is a bad idea for me right now.

It is weird, but having this damn IUD has given me opportunity to think about something that I otherwise try to ignore; self-identity: who I am currently and who I want to be. I sometimes feel like I go along with what people around me like, or what people around me are into, to try and be part of some larger group to just have the feeling that I am the part of something. Organizer, politically aware person, hanging out with 'anarchists', hip-hop, sports teams: all things I have been into because I just want to belong to something. It is easy to just pick a label and say, "Okay, I'm going to be a politically aware youth organizer who is adamant about x,y,z cause!" How many times I have unconsciously done this only to realize that I am working so hard to be a part of something that I do not necessarily want to be so deeply involved with, or even involved with at all. And so this is what I began to realize about my thoughts about wanting a baby: I could just have a baby now and be a 'Mom' and just have that be who I am, and what I do, and surround myself with other moms, and be a young mom!

But this is why the IUD has been really great (besides all the fun, anxiety-free sex I am having); I do not want to be a mom, and while it would be kinda awesome to just become something as awesome as a mom accidentally, it is not what I want. It would be super easy to just be labled as a mom and not really have to worry about being anything else if I never wanted to do something else. Being able to break away from my friends and family dominating view that no period = totally unnatural has also been liberating because I just don't have to hold the same view as them. Ah, it sound so simple, but why is coming to conclusions like this such a round-about thing for me?

And even prior to having this thing placed, I was trying to do things that were what I liked/wanted instead of what those around me like/wanted. This has been everything from clothes to music to views about my health. So anyways, I am really happy right now, with my job, with my relationship with Chico, with school, and just everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment