Friday, December 2, 2011

If it is impossible to trust Peter Bishop, how am I supposed to trust my boyfriend?

Hello,

Not for a long time have I been into a show the way I am into Fringe. Yes, I watch all the Thursday comedies online (EXCEPT WHITNEY, LET'S GET THAT SHIT CLEAR RIGHT NOW) and I am even in love with Phil Dunfy of Modern Family and have gone onto YouTube exclusively to watch his Tropicana commercial.

But I love Fringe as much as I love Yawara, and all these other shows don't even compare!

Last night Chico and I were watching Fringe, Season 3 (SPOILER ALERT for the 0 people who read this) where another child who was a part of the Cortexiphan experiments reads Peter Bishop's mind and tells Olivia something she does not necessarily want to know. He gives her this message in an envelope and we later find out it reads, "He still has feelings for her." Then we find out that Fauxlivia ('her') is pregnant with Peter Bishop's baby.

Now since not all of you were in the room with me when I made a joke about Peter and Fauxlivia having sex for the first time and that "I hope he used protection" let me explain. At the time the joke was more about Inter-Universe STI spreading, but pregnancy (unfortunately) works the same way in Their World as it does Ours. I am so sad that this joke is no longer funny at all, and is actually awful (but will make for wonderful TV).

Sorry this is so jumbled, but I have not written anything longer than a FB update in several months.

Personally, I pretty much interpret everything through this Hyper-Personal-and-Emotional lens. This is something I am currently trying to reign in because it leads to situations where you watch Twilight Breaking Dawn part 1 high on Space Cake thinking about the similarities between the world around you and Bella and Edwards world. Fuck, this is so sad to write down, but luckily I was high enough to laugh it off and be happy Chico is the best guy for me.

But this is also how I watch Fringe, and that is what makes me really love this show because the moral dilemmas in season 3 are very "real world" (ie- the world outside of television) with enough other crazy shit going on to not lead me into some MindTrap. But this whole episode (Fringe Season 3, Disc 3, Episode 2 on the disc) was different. We see Peter telling Real Olivia how he doesn't have feelings for Fauxlivia anymore, but then we find out he is lying. This whole show is built up around Peter (I mean for goodness sakes his frequency controls The Device) and how he is ultimately the person who never chose to be in the situation he is in now. Usually a driving force in a show is not as innocent as him, but it is my opinion that he is a pretty innocent, well-mannered, funny, all around fantastic guy. I was so disappointed to find out that he is lying to Olivia because this is not the Peter Bishop I know. Plus, it makes me dislike the other Universe even more (except Broyles, because he is awesome everywhere) because it is drawing this opposite side of Peter out that to us viewers didn't exist before he crossed over.

Why does this particular part of the story hit so close to my heart? Well, I have been in a similar situation where someone you really care for lies to your face and then you find out about it later and they don't really seem to care too much that they hurt you until you decide to hurt them. But unlike Fringe, my other stuff doesn't include ShapeShifters, Skelter Beetles, or Sensory Deprivation Tanks, but includes Gold's Gym, my best friend, going to work, and making sure I eat healthy. Plus, they didn't get a woman from another Universe pregnant, so I should be happy.

But this type of lying is awful because Peter: You are lying. Second, Peter: you are going to kill Our Universe because of an inferior Fauxlivia. Third, Peter: you are keeping Olivia from taking agency over her own life and making the right decision for herself because you are proving yourself to be so goddamn selfish. 8

Anyways, that's enough. Hope this wasn't too jumbled and/or dumb.

Thanks everyone! Good Morning!

1 comment:

  1. Ummm genius alert!!!!!! Why do you not do this more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm giving you lots of overzealous hand waving encouragement :)
    Love,
    Smog

    ReplyDelete